The “K” Tiffin
Welcome to A to Z of tiffin ideas with me. I am trying to give AtoZ suggestions for lunch box woes and today is Day 11 with letter K. So Let’s pack the K Tiffin
kachori (Alu or peas)
For Sweet keep Kalakand or any Khoya Barfi and Kiwi in Fruit.
Kachori – Alu or peas
- All purpose flour / Refined flour / Maida – 2 cups
- 1 tbsp Rava/ semolina
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Oil – 1&1/2 tbsp
- Water – ½ cup + 1-2 Tsp
- Ajwain/ Carom Seeds ¼ Tsp
- Potatoes / Aloo (boiled mashed & grated) – 3
- Coriander / Cilantro leaves – 2 tbsp, finely chopped
- Green Chili – 1 finely chopped
- Ginger – 1 tsp, grated
- Salt – to taste
- Dhaniya/ Coriander powder – 1. 1/2 Tsp
- Saunf / Fennel powder – ½ tsp
- Jeera / Cumin powder – ½ tsp
- Red chili powder – ¼ tsp
- Garam Masala – ¼ tsp
- Kasuri Methi 1 Tsp
- Amchur/ Dry Mango powder – ½ tsp
- A pinch of Hing or Asafoetida
- Boil potatoes in a pressure cooker. Let it cool and then mash or either grate them uniformly.
- In a large bowl take flour and semolina, add salt, and oil and mix well with hands.
- Knead a soft dough with lukewarm water (like the one for making chapattis). Cover and keep aside for half an hour.
- Heat oil in a small kadhai (wok). Add cumin seeds in oil. When cumin seeds crackle, add coriander powder, green chili, ginger, salt, and potato. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Make lemon sized balls from the dough. Place one ball on your palm, flatten with fingers. Gently press the center of the kachori with your thumb, add 1 to 1 ½ teaspoon of potato filling and seal the ends in shape of a Kachori. Press between palms. Roll gently with a rolling pin. Make all kachoris in this fashion.
- Heat oil in a kadhai for deep frying. Deep fry kachoris on medium flame. Turn while frying till they turn brown on both sides.
- Place kachoris on a napkin on a plate. Fry all kachoris. Let it cool before you pack in Tiffin
Another option is kothimbir/ coriander wadi. Its a platterful of spices and flavours.
For Kothimbir Wadi click here
Today is Day 11 with the letter “K” of AtoZ challenge.
My theme for the challenge is ‘Tackling Tiffin tantrums” to help ease lunchbox woes for moms & kids. If you liked this post then do drop a comment below. Don’t forget to share this post with your friends and family.
That’s all for today, see you tomorrow!
For all AtoZ of Tiffin Ideas click here or search for #A2ZTiffinideas on Twitter and Facebook.