“Wada Paav” Xploring Maharashtra street food
I love street food and being Maharashtrian Wada paav the yummy bun dumpling or call it Indian fatty cutlet as my dear friend ash says it, or call it Indian Burger. What’s in a name when it’s my all-time favorite. What better way to start your day tasting Bharat ka zaika with this wonder food, one-stop meal, any time meal dish. Wada pav is a combo of mixed flavors it’s spicy, it’s savory, it’s delicious for taste buds.
BBC once quoted in its article that WADA-Paav is the Indian burger, McDonald’s can’t master. Read here to know about the history of WADA paav. A yummy… tummy-filling favorite snack with a hot cup of chai, what else you need to start your day. Pocket-friendly, savory and tasty Wada Paav is an all-day on-the-go snack.
So let’s give a hand to try it at home if you are not in Mumbai like me and I miss it badly, so I make it at home my way to satisfy my taste buds. Get ready to Indulge your taste buds in an ambrosial Wada Paav the savoury delicacy of Bharat.
8 pav bhaji pavs also known as ladi paavs (small squares of white bread)
For The Wada Filling
- 3 potatoes boiled and mashed
- 2 -3 green chilies, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic/ lehsun finely chopped
- 2 tsp ginger/ adrak finely chopped
- 1 tsp mustard seeds/ rai/ sarson
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida/ hing
- 6 to 8 curry leaves/ Kadi Patta
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder/ Haldi
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder/ lal mirch
- Salt to taste
- fresh coriander chopped a spoonful
- 1 tbsp oil
The Wada Outer Covering
- 1 cup besan/ Bengal gram flour
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (Haldi)
- a pinch of baking soda
- a pinch of hing/ asafoetida
- 1 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- oil for deep-frying
Method For the Wada filling
- Pound the green chilies, ginger, garlic and 1 tsp jeera using a mortar and pestle, or you can grind this all in small mixer pot too.
- Heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. When they crackle, add the asafoetida and curry leaves and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the pounded mixture and sauté again for a few seconds.
- Add the mashed potatoes, turmeric powder, and salt and mix well.
- Remove from heat and let it cool. later add coriander leaves and mix well.
- Now divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and shape into round balls using hands.
For the outer covering
- Combine all the ingredients listed under “Wada outer covering” in a bowl and make a batter using water, but add water slowly.
- The consistency should be like pakora batter and keep it whisking as this helps in lighter WADA’s.
- Dip each round of the Wada filling into the batter and allow it to coat the mixture well.
- Deep fry in hot oil, till golden brown.
- Drain on absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Wada Paav is ready
How to proceed
- Slice each paav into half and spread some dry garlic chutney inside.
- If you don’t have chutney no worries you can apply green chutney or even tomato sauce in the wadas.
- Place one vada in each pav and serve immediately.
- If you feel you can microwave the complete combo just 20 seconds for uniform heat.
- Serve hot, you can use slit and boiled green chilies too with that.
- Laddi pavs are small square-shaped white bread rolls which are available at local bakeries.
- You can also use bread roll or slices if the paav is not available.
For more yummy recipes do check the fire/ food tatwa collection.
I am taking my blog to the next level with Blogchatter’s #MyFriendAlexa.
This is my Fire Agni tatwa post which has my kitchen experiments.