The A Tiffin
The First Tiffin
Here comes April 1st and so is AtoZ challenge, selecting a theme itself was a challenge for me, from travel to poems, from people to places and then my parenting mommy side decided to take the lead.
So I decided to ease mommy’s lunch box woes and tackle tiffin tantrums by these easy to make healthy recipes made perfect for tiffin boxes. I must not boast but yes my kiddos love the tiffins and I rarely get boxes returned I mean they are always empty.
So what all we have in A today,
Appe (nutritious lentil, pulses, rice mix)
A note- to keep apple slices fresh and avoid the redness on it just sprinkle a few drops of fresh lime juice the apple will stay fresh till mid-break in school.
So here goes the recipe of Appe, well Appe can be made in two ways, one needs overnight preparation and another is an instant version of it. Please find both versions here and make what suits you the best.
Best way to feed your kids with proteins with loads of pulses in it.
- 1 glass rice
- chana daal 1/2 glass
- urad dhuli daal 3/4 glass
- green moong daal 3/4 glass
- 2 tbsp arhar/ tuar daal
- curry leaves – 20 leaves approx
- Green chilies – 2 – 4 number
- Garlic – 10 cloves
- ginger – approx 1 inch
- jeera 2 tsp
- pinch of asafetida
- chilly powder 1/2 tsp (if using green chilies adjust to your taste)
- turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Soak all above daals for 4-5 hours
- Grind the dals and rice to paste along with curry leaves, ginger, garlic, jeera.
- There is no compulsion on fine paste as little coarse paste will also do as all dals and rice are soaked.
- Mix all spices – salt, red chilly powder, turmeric and mix properly.
- After that, pour the batter with help of a spoon to shallow fry in appe patram available online as well as offline in local shops.
In addition, Its a nutritious snack and can be even given to kids in tiffin box or enjoyed on Sunday brunch too.
Tastes good with Pudina OR coriander chutney.
If you forgot to prepare it overnight no worries there is an instant option too with semolina.
Instant Sooji Appe
- semolina/ rava/sooji 1 cup
- ½ cup yogurt/curd/ dahi
- 1/4 cup water or as required
- Salt to taste
- carrot 1 finely chopped or grated
- a handful of boiled peas
- onion 1 small, finely chopped
- ginger, chopped 1 Tsp
- 1 green chili, finely chopped as per kids taste
- A handful of chopped coriander
- Optional veggies one can add like oiled corns or red, yellow & green bell peppers.
Note – you can parboil all veggies for softer chew for kids.
- oil 1 tsp
- mustard seeds (rai) ½ tsp
- jeera 1/2 tsp
- 1 tsp urad dal dhuli
- Few curry leaves, chopped
In a large bowl take semolina. Add yogurt and all veggies finely chopped.
Add salt to taste. Mix well and let the batter rest for 10-12 minutes.
The veggies will leave the water after salt is added so check for the consistency and add more water if needed or add sooji if needed. Mix all well.
Now in another kadhai/ wok prepare tempering by adding 1 tsp oil and once the oil is hot add rai/ mustard seeds, urad dal, jeera and green chilies (optional) and add this to the batter. Turn off flame so to avoid burning & add it to the batter. Mix well together.
1tsp Soda/ eno is an additional and optional thing so please suite your taste to add it. Take appe pan & brush it with few drops of oil. Pour sooji batter say a spoonful in all blocks. Shallow fry till crisp on both the sides. Sooji Appe Are Ready 😍
Today is Day 1 with letter “A” of AtoZ challenge.
My theme for the challenge is ‘Tackling Tiffin tantrums” to help ease lunchbox woes for moms & kids.
If you liked this post then do drop a comment below. Don’t forget to share this post with your friends and family.
That’s all for today, see you tomorrow! For all AtoZ of Tiffin Ideas click here or search for #A2ZTiffinideas on Twitter and Facebook.