Teaching children importance of Reduce, Reuse and Recycle on Green consumer day
Green Consumer Day is celebrated globally on 28th September every year, to make people aware of the use of eco-friendly products, which avoids pollution. It primarily focuses on awareness-raising and the importance of recycling-reusing and reducing waste material. ringing a green and clean pollution-free environment. Green Consumer Day also depicts the issues and impacts of consumerism on the environment. Also, many awareness programs are conducted on this day to teach people about the significance of recycling-reusing and reducing waste materials.
Green consumer behavior is a form of pro-environmental behavior, which can be defined as a form of consumption that harms the environment as little as possible or even benefits the environment. Green consumption is It is a form of consumption that is compatible with the safeguard of the environment for the present and the next generations. We can find a green consumer behavior when an individual act ethically, motivated not only by his/her personal needs but also by the respect and preservation of the welfare of the entire society because a green consumer takes into account the environmental consequences (costs and benefits) of his/her private consumption.
Teaching children importance of Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
We all know how recycling, reducing, and reusing products or materials are beneficial to creation. Being responsible humans and parents/ guardians, we should educate our children to follow these methods and preserve our nature’s resources. Encouraging children to reuse and recycle is a great way to teach them about sustainability, to be more concerned about the environment. It will help make them responsible adults, with a better future on this planet. Kids need to be explained that certain materials don’t decompose and some will exist for hundreds if not thousands of years.
Environmental responsibility and three R’s of Reduce-Reuse-Recycle be made part of our everyday life. Make it your second nature and effortless habit. Always remember, children, learn from what they observe. Be conscious and sustainable humans and kids sure will follow in your footsteps.
On On Green Consumer Day, Sharing some easy ways to teach children about the importance of three Rs. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle are the three great ways YOU can eliminate waste and protect your environment!
- Teach children to reduce the amount of waste firstly, that is getting produced.
- Say no to disposable shopping bags. Make it a habit to carry your own reusable bag instead.
- Choose products that have the least amount of packaging.
- Buy in bulk when purchasing items like laundry detergent, shampoo, biscuits, pet food, etc.
- Tell them the advantage of buying unpackaged items in loose bins when available.
- Use what you already have instead of buying something new whenever possible.
- Buy liquid products that are concentrated. Also, Using bars of soap or shampoo is also better than buying plastic pump bottles of liquid soap.
- Avoid single serving foods that require extra packaging.
- Reduce food wastage – Taking too much food and wasting it only contributes to the mountains of food waste created each year.
- Purchase reusable, rather than disposable, products such as mugs, dishes, cloth napkins, instead of paper cups, plates, and napkins, and single use plastic utensils.
- Use refillable containers, like water bottles and soap containers, whenever possible.
- Try and reduce the use of single-use items, like paper napkins.
- Reuse cloth or appliances. Make it a habit to mend clothing and repair appliances and other products. Have your kids help you sell or donate their used clothing and toys instead of throwing them out.
- Find creative ways to reuse items you might otherwise throw away. For example, find craft projects for used tissue rolls, linens, boxes, packaging, and/or empty containers. Or donate them to your child’s school to use.
- Use both sides of paper when printing from your computer.
- Reusing is much cheaper than buying a new one as it affects our environment and saves our money.
- Recycling includes picking items that can be put to new use and not throwing it away for waste, including glasses, cardboard, aluminum, etc.
- Similarly, teach the ways to reuse water. Instruct your child to reuse items such as refill water bottles rather than replacing them with a new one.
- Many products are recyclable, and they can be made into other usable products. Check for any recycling programs in your area.
- Teach kids in a game and fun manner.
- You can ask the kids to place all recyclable items, such as glass, aluminum, steel, paper, and plastic, in the appropriate containers around your home.
- Find local dealers or retailers who accept products that can be recycled. Products like used batteries, antifreeze, motor oil, paint cans, plastic bags, and cell phones, etc.
- One activity that helps keep our surroundings clean is recycling because it cuts down significantly on the amount of waste we let loose on the environment, especially non-biodegradable waste.
- Make recycling a habit in your home and teach your children how to do it. Teach them to separate trash and have different bins for each type.
- Also, go with them when you are dumping the waste so they can see how organized recycling can be and adapt it as a way of life.
Develop a habit, to use something till it’s reusable, only then send it to recycle bin, when its end of usable life for that particular thing. It’s best to reduce or reuse first before you recycle. Our children should have this habit to consider each thing they buy and ask themselves if they really need it.
The golden rule
Use what you have for as long as possible and
reduce the amount of stuff that you buy.
Teach kids about Composting
By adopting the four R’s in your home, your kids will begin to understand the importance of cutting down on the amount of waste they create. This Green Consumer Day, teach your kids about environmental initiatives, starting with the four R’s, can help them learn lifelong lessons about environmental responsibility.
To sum up, This is my conscious lifestyle post to spread more awareness on sustainable living. It’s Sustainable September, join me for more such ways and tips and become part of my Conscious and sustainable living ideas. Visit my blog and make yourself conscious and aware of being more concerned for our environment, and alter your lifestyle. Have you checked how to reduce and beat plastic pollution in easy 11 ways? This post is a part of Cause-a-Chatter by Blogchatter.
Being Eco-Friendly is not a choice, make it a habit.