Browse By

A Room – Inside to Outside

Have read lots of books and when it came to writing about the impact one left I can’t miss on my recent read of a few months ago. What a book, beautiful and shocking.
The trust shared by a brave young little boy and his mother, the language they speak and understand for each other, and that too confined inside a ROOM of an 11 by 11 feet size for life.

I am talking about… Room

by Emma Donoghue

It’s a beautiful, shocking, fascinating book of survival and hope and determination to live
in odd circumstances.
window-336550_1920

A 19-year-old girl is kidnaped and trapped and repeatedly raped by old Nick who daily visits the ROOM and on his visit, little Jack is safely packed inside a wardrobe. This story is Jack’s point of view, can a 5-year-old have a view, yes of course and that too when he was showcased life in a completely different manner.

How beautifully MA brings up the kid in a small room with whatever resources she had. He likes to read books, watch TV accessible to only a few channels, play games with his one and only friend his MA. But Jack is different as he has lived his entire life in that room and that is all that he knows. The ROOM is the only world he knows, the other world exists only inside the TV or from the window up above the roof.

hiding-1209131_1920
I was not able to keep the book down and was shocked the day I read the page which revealed the ROOM to be a prison. The whole book became visual to me and I was actually imagining the whole scene.

The story takes a turn when Ma and Jack come up with a daring plan to escape their prison. Then starts the second half of the book after the escape plan and how little Jack tries to adjust himself to the normal world which is new to him.
When I had picked this book I was unsure about what this thick book would hold, will it bore out or what, but with every growing day, it was a unique and interesting story to read. As the book advances towards climax the police revelations of finding his dead sister under soil…and the love for rug is heart touching.

It left a permanent impact on me and I till date kept thinking is it only Ma and Jack in that room or many more like them? I am always thinking of those who are in similar ROOM’s and can’t get out.
A married woman not allowed to go out, is in a ROOM,
A lady not allowed to fulfill her ambitions, is in a ROOM,
A lady getting raped daily and not breaking her silence is also in a ROOM,
A female employee getting harassed at workplace but she can’t say it loud out of fear of losing job is also in a ROOM,
Come out of ROOM bravely is what MAA motivates to all.
THIS POST IS WRITTEN FOR NOVEMBERSCHILD IN ASSOCIATION WITH KALAMPEDIA – QUEST FOR KNOWLEDGE”

12 thoughts on “A Room – Inside to Outside”

1. heartinprintbyjaya says:

Beautifully expressed your views on Room.
    My next read for sure.

1. PraGun says:

Thanks, yes do read it, its a masterpiece

2. mommytincture says:

The last couple of statements were really inspiring. Hope to read this book sometime in future

1. PraGun says:

Thanks, yes do read it’s a masterpiece

3. ☆Novemberschild☆ (@romspeaks) says:

Ever since its Booker nomination (it made the shortlist), Room by Irish writer Emma Donoghue has set the literary world on fire. Most people who review the book seem to love it. They talk about how riveting and suspenseful the book is and how they felt compelled to finish it in a single reading. I am putting this book in my TBR for sure. I respect the author’s choice to write a dark-themed story narrated entirely from the perspective of a five year old boy. While the unreliable narrator is nothing new in literature, its deployment here felt fresh and so I give points for that. Thank you Pragun for a wonderful post and making it a part of my blog’s birthday celebration. Best wishes.

1. PraGun says:

It was my pleasure to be part of your blogs bday celebs. Yes this book is a must read do read.

4. Mayuri6 says:

This sounds like a thriller, a genre I really enjoy reading. Your review has tempted me to add it to by TBR. Shall be reading it soon. Thanks for sharing!

1. PraGun says:

yes you should read the book its a masterpiece.

5. vidhya thakkar says:

beautiful article! Loved it #Viddhreads #MyfriendAlexa

6. whimsicalcompass says:

I’ve heard so much about the book and the movie, but haven’t been able to gather the courage to pick it up or even watch it. But I love the way you’ve portrayed the story and your emotions. It does seem quite inspiring.
    [@samantha_rjsdr] from
    Whimsical Compass

1. PraGun says:

It’s a masterpiece, do try and read, it touched my soul.

1. whimsicalcompass says: